Sunday, March 22, 2009

San Jose

Wednesday, March 11 - Miercoles


 Aura, Rodrigo and I left the hotel at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 11.  We were on our way to pick up JoElla in San Jose after her arrival at 8:45 p.m.  We needed to make a few stops along the way.  First, we stopped in Rio Frio so I could get a haircut.  As I mentioned the self bang trimming was not very successful,  I really needed a professional trim before the start of my workshop.  Since we were already traveling today was the perfect day to squeeze in a haircut.  Aura called earlier in the morning to make an afternoon appointment.  After entering the main area of Rio Frio, we drove down a few residential streets to a narrow dirt road with houses on both sides that were extremely close to the road.  As the road became even more narrow, we eased to a stop in front of a house.   The hair salon consisted of the front room in the hairdresser’s house.  


Aura accompanied me into the house, where the hair stylist and her friend were waiting.  After a quick introduction, Aura spoke on my behalf, explaining I only wanted a trim and that although I didn’t speak Spanish, I understood Spanish.  I was grateful for the introduction as well as the language explanation.  Since my hair was already clean, we proceeded directly to the chair.  I spent most of my time, smiling and listening.  Aura did all of the talking.  After cutting my hair, the stylist managed to blow dry it straight without the aid of any product.  Just a blow dryer and a brush and my hair was completely straight despite the rain and humidity.  She finished the look with a little silicone gel.  3,000 colones ($6.00) later I returned to the van.    Aura and Rodrigo loved the new look and couldn’t believe the difference.  I couldn’t believe it was still straight, even after I left her house and returned to the van.  We stopped at a panaderia (bakery), purchased a couple of cookies and a bread snack and continued to San Jose.   I planned to find a cute restaurant in a busy city area where we could kick back, relax and enjoy while people watching.  Rodrigo had a plan of his own.   


We made it through the National Park and into San Jose by 4:30 p.m.  As we proceeded through the streets of San Jose,  I learned that Rodrigo used to be employed as a chauffeur for bank  executives.  During this time he was married, lived in the San Jose area and had a daughter.  I only know Rodrigo as the driver for Sueno Azul who lives nearby in this beautiful house with his mother.  I was a little taken back to hear of his previous life.  As he was enjoying this trip down memory lane, he pointed out the bank and other various locations that were an important part of his life.   I asked him which job he preferred, driving tourist or driving executives of the Bank.  He clearly stated he preferred working for the bank.  Rodrigo does such a fabulous job at the resort, always with a smile and wonderful disposition, I never would have guessed he had another job he would have preferred.  I appreciated his honesty and wondered what happened that made his life change so dramatically.  


By this time Aura and I were in need of a bathroom.  Since Aura prefers not to use public toilets, she called her mother-in-law and asked if we could stop at her house.  She lovingly agreed and was unlocking the gate to her property across from the new mall as we turned the corner.  The architecture of Joaquins mother’s house was stunning.  Truly a wonderfully designed city house with access to a private green area in the back.  I sat with Joaquin’s mother while Aura ran immediately to the bathroom.  She spoke slowly in Spanish about the earthquake earlier today.  Saying she felt it, that it was very strong (6.3 on the Richter scale).  All of the roads in San Jose were fine, most of the damage occurred further South.  I simply smiled and tried to convey that we didn’t feel it at Sueno Azul.  When Aura returned from the bathroom, she translated my Spanish to real Spanish.  We visited for a short period of time, while Rodrigo circled the block.   


After the appropriate amount of visiting time, we returned to the vehicle.  Rodrigo proceeded to drive out of the city limits.  It seemed he had a plan of his own.  As we drove further away from the city, up a twisting hill, I grew more and more confused.  I knew we were driving away from the airport and from the possible thriving downtown area I was hoping to find.  I love being in another country and learning about the country.  In my current capacity I encounter tourists and Costa Rican’s on vacation - it’s an artificial environment. I was looking forward to observing Costa Rican’s in their daily environment as well as practicing my Spanish in the real Costa Rica.  As my face revealed my confusion, Aura took the opportunity to explain that Rodrigo wanted to show us this restaurant that overlooked the city.  Although I appreciated Rodrigo’s enthusiasm and planning, my disappointed grew with each curve up the steep hill as the opportunity to interact with locals in a thriving downtown environment receded.  The drive was exceedingly long.  Finally we arrived at a fancy restaurant on a hill top.  Rodrigo was uncharacteristically excited as he lead the way up the steps.  I tried to contain my disappointment at not sampling the authentic Costa Rican daily life.  This is clearly a high end restaurant, with the waiters in white button down shirts, black pants and the white towel over their arms.  It seems tonight is a special night - with a $ 45 dollar fee for dancing and buffet - starting at 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 pm.  Since we are least an hour from the airport we would only be able to stay for 30 - 45 minutes of the event.  Rodrigo took us here to show us the view and have a coffee.  We sat at a table by the window overlooking the valley containing the city of San Jose, province of Heredia, the national park and even the province of Sarrapiqui in the distance.  The view was beautiful and it was obvious that Rodrigo was reliving part of his past, as well as sharing something special to him with us.  We each ordered a coffee and sat and talked.  We watched the day give way to night as the lights in the valley sparkeled. 


After coffee we returned to the vehicle for the long drive down the hill in search of a restaurant.  Of course Aura and Rodrigo couldn’t think of one and I was determined to find a cute place to eat.  My cute restaurant quest was cut short by the late hour and we ended up at a roadside soda/restaurant near the airport.  As soon as we ordered, both Aura and Rodrigo recalled better places to eat - but it was too late.  The food was marginal, the company was great.  Off to the airport to meet JoElla.  We arrived at 9:00 p.m. and searched for her.  I haven’t seen JoElla since 2003 and realized as I arrived at the airport that I had no idea what she looked like.  The last time I saw her, her hair was really short.  Aura asked me what she looked like and I really couldn’t explain.  We simply searched.  Walking back and forth and finally settled on staring in through the glass.  In Costa Rica you cannot enter the airport unless you are traveling.  All pickups and meetings are curbside.  I watched intently for anyone who looked remotely familiar.  I was grateful no one offered me a taxi, taking it as a sign I am blending in - as best I can with my blonde hair.  Finally after 20 minutes, I see her walk.  Yes, of all things, I remembered her walk.  Her hair was a little longer  with a curl and pulled up off her face - then I saw the eyes at exactly the same time she saw me.  I ran over to the opening and of course screamed with excitement as soon as she cleared the doorway.  We hugged each other for an extended period of time, causing Aura and Rodrigo to turn away.  When we finished, I introduced her Aura and Rodrigo who were both blushing at this point.  


Off to the van and our hour and half ride back to Sueno Azul.  The entire ride was filled with two different conversations in two different languages.  Aura and Rodrigo conversing in Spanish in the front seats while  JoElla and I caught up on the past 6 years in English in the second seat. We arrived at the hotel around 11:30 p.m. and JoElla insisted on taking her own bags to her room, despite the night guards best efforts.  She gave me a huge container of Rice protein powder, something I cannot get in this country and greatly missed.  We immediately filled her water bottle - she has also been drinking alkaline water and agreed to meet in the morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment