Friday, March 27, 2009

Dia Libre

Wednesday, March 25 - Miercoles


Dia Libre!!!  Wow!  You know you are becoming complacent when a Toucan flys within 10 feet of your face and you don’t have any reaction!  That just happened to me and I failed to get excited.  Perhaps I’m just tired.  This is my first day off in two weeks.  I still worked this morning, spoke to my boss, finished adding missing information to the books, coordinated travel and organized the information for the final week.  Lately, that work is easy - being present with the participants and dealing with the “behind the scenes” issues are draining.  I also had a close encounter with a hummingbird on my terrace as I was practicing yoga.  I looked up to find him hovering around the light bulb, screens and door looking for water or nectar.  Then he went on his way.  After lunch, I stood within four feet of a bascalist lizzard (probably spelled wrong, also known as the Jesus Christ lizzard because it can walk on water).  We both just stood there looking at each other.  I inched closer and closer - he stood his ground.  Finally, I gave up and walked away, he was still standing there.   I guess it was my day for animal encounters.  Perhaps the caimen will make an appearance this evening.  I’ve heard him walk into the lagoon behind my room for the past several nights.  Given my experiences today - maybe he’ll let me see him.  


The participants were very cute this morning.  My growling stomach resulted in poor timing and I ended up in the lobby while all of the participants were gathered there for their full day of adventure.  Luckily, on Sunday,  I had asked each of them to just wave if they saw me on my day off - no speaking required.  As I was talking to one of the staff, a participant stood in my peripheral vision - smiling and waving.  When I turned to wave, I had no choice but to smile at this 60 year old man standing there waving.   


I spent the rest of the morning at the pool, basking in the peacefulness of having the whole hotel to myself.   I had a  delicious lunch of salad, french fries, and trout grilled with garlic, while I talked to the staff and then retreated to my room to continue basking in the peacefulness of alone time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment