Friday, March 6, 2009

Chill

 I took a 20 minute nap today.  Fell asleep fully dressed in several layers covered with a polyester sarong and wool pashmina.  When I woke my nose was cold.  The rain continues and the wind causes the curtains to blow - letting in damp, chilly air.   I’ve had enough of being cold.  Suddenly is occurs to me that as the Omega Representative, I have access to resources.  I quickly put on my shoes and walk down to reception, slipping on the damp sidewalks beneath covered walkways with the sound of beating rain a constant companion.  I gather two large trash bags from the laundry room, push pins and a pair of scissors from my office.  I return to my room, careful not to slip on the damp concrete in my excitement.  After a few minutes the large screen window is completely covered in black plastic trash bags underneath the curtains.  The curtains have stopped billowing from the wind and the room feels warmer.   Perhaps it is a result of the physical labor involved in covering the window,  although I am hoping it’s the plastic preventing some of the wind from entering and retaining the heat generated from my body.  


I left the warmth of my room to give a couple of Reiki sessions, closing the bathroom door and leaving the lights on in the hope this will generate some heat.  It is so windy tonight I pass fallen trees as I return to my room post Reiki and dinner.  The ground is saturated, causing the relentless rain to form abundant streams, the color of coffee with milk.  Newly formed trenches serve as a border to the outside of my room. The pilot light for the hot water heater cannot retain it’s spark, depriving us of hot water at a time when it’s most needed.  I have been bathed in chilliness since October despite my Southern locations.  I crave warmth, heat, the comfort of wearing little clothing while feeling warm.  As I open the door to my room, I feel warmth.  I pause, giddy with the feel of it.  Then, just in case, I quickly shut the door, not wanting of any this new found warmth to escape.  For this is the first time in many days it is actually warmer in my room than outside.   


  

1 comment:

  1. The rain! I can hear it from here. Memo to you: Next year, layers of clothing! You need a parka. Hope it clears up soon.

    ReplyDelete