Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lessons & Insights


I’ve learned a few things while during my time here.  Learned/Realized/Understand - either or perhaps all of those words are true.  I’ve realized that I will always stand up for what I believe is correct.  This is a wonderful quality, one that I am grateful for and admire in others.  This quality can become an issue when the methods employed are “above and beyond”.  As a result of this realization I will not be running for a position on the Board at the condominium complex where I own property this November .   I have tried to effect change, have a say, stand up for what I believe and represent the majority to the best of my ability each year I have served as a member of the Board.  Despite my best efforts, I have not succeeded.  The other Board members continue to exclude me and carry on in a fashion I believe primarily benefits each of them without proper regard for the owners as a whole.  I can no longer be the voice of change in this community.  Realizing that is disappointing and freeing at the same time.  I’ve never understood the concept of “cut your loses” when it pertains to doing what is right.  This experience, however, has taught me that perhaps there are other ways to effect change by simply being a vocal member of the community rather than one of a governing board that governs without regard to those they serve.  


I also understand that my preferred mode of service is based in friendship.  This is a huge lesson, one I just was able to glimpse as a result of my position here in Costa Rica.  Yes, I am working and I am also in service.  I am not necessarily in friendship to those I serve.  Although I prefer to serve in friendship, often this is not accepted or welcomed by those I serve and I truly suffer as a result.  I’ve adjusted my service mentality, building and maintaining friendships where possible and continuing to serve where that is not possible.  The interesting aspect is being able to recognize and appreciate the difference and still show up in service.  


People give what they can when they can.  I still love them.  Calmness is recognized and appreciated by everyone.  I accomplish my tasks more efficiently and with cooperation when approached in a position of calmness.  The comments regarding this from the Costa Rican community, mostly Federico, have been amazing.  Sometimes, even when I think I’m inappropriate - no one believes that.  I easily make friends and relate to people even though I often feel misunderstood.  


A few interesting humorous things I haven’t told you.  Frequently when the housekeepers clean my room they will close the door to the bathroom.  When I return to my room on these on occasions I frown, roll my eyes and am hesitant to open the bathroom door.  I irrationally fear there is a caiman on the other side.  The other day I was making a protein shake.  The blender was broken and Paula instructed me in Spanish/sign language how to use the drink shaker.  I used to be a bartender - so the instruction really wasn’t necessary - but it was appreciated.  She walked away and I poured the contents into the container.  As she returned I was shaking the drink, as per her instruction.  She became so silly, stopped in mid walk, looked at me and said in broken English between fits of laughter “Charrito - shake drink, not your self”.  Those of you who have known me for some time are laughing hysterically because you get the picture.  I have received more hugs from the staff during my time here that I normally would in a year, including my time at huggy Omega.  Last week, the staff was in a particularly good mood.  The Omega guests were financially generous and easy to please.  During breakfast, four of the female staff were working.  They ran up to me in front of the buffet in unison and gave me a group hug and even let out little screams.  My guests loved it and asked me why.  I told them “I really don’t know - but I enjoyed it”.  I get kissed and hugged often, maybe even more than when I worked in the group home and I truly appreciate it. 


Sueno Azul is the site of a celebrity reality show.  The BBC, the parent company, is here right now scouting and planning for filming of “I’m a Celebrity - Get me out of here” or something like that.  I met Sam, the big boss, and Brian, the person in charge of this project.  There are 50 people on the advance scouting team, staying 2 - 5 days.  The actual production will require 200 people to be here starting in May, filming for three weeks in June and editing for a couple of weeks there after.  I fail to understand how so many people and so much money can be spent on a reality show production of celebrities like Mark Spitz, Jesse Ventura and Tracy Gold!  Do we really need to wonder what is wrong with our economy?  Perhaps, if we all shut off the television, stop responding to advertisements, lived our lives, helped others and got out there and volunteered in our communities - we’d have a chance of regaining our position as a strong, dominate country.  Instead of one that eats a variety of chemicals while “relaxing” on the couch watching “celebrities suffer”.  


The number one question I answer every week is “Cheryl, what do you do on your day off.”  Tonight I gave them the real, honest answer - “Each one is different, tomorrow I am getting a pedicure and a massage and I’m not talking to anyone.”  As the shock registered on their faces, I said “I talk so much during the week, and I tried not to talk to anyone last week, but I ended up talking to the staff.  Tomorrow I’m going to try to not even talk to them.  Perhaps I should write my father and tell him that my objective for my day off is not to talk, he would get a kick out of that.  He probably wouldn’t even believe it.”  Richard Garrigues, the Bird Watching Instructor, father of 5 grown children almost choked on his soup! 


Oh yeah, despite how much I want to categorize people - all of them escape categorization and everyone is basically good.  After all, we really are all one.  

1 comment: