Thursday, February 26, 2009

Feliz Dia del Amor y Amistad

Saturday, February 14 - Sabado


Feliz dia del Amor y Amistad = Happy Day of Love and Friendship = Happy Valentines Day!


After my encounter with the snake.  I found it difficult to sleep.  I had all of the lights on, including the bathroom light until 10:00 p.m.  I usually spend the evening reading from the glow of one light until I fall asleep at 8:30 p.m. or 9:00 p.m.  I realized when I was still up at 10:00 p.m., with the lights blazing that thoughts of the snake entering my room  made me hesitant to fall asleep.  I finally gave in, closed the lights and my eyes and drifted into a fitful sleep around 10:30 p.m.  Each time I woke during the night to use the facilities - I turned on a light and cautiously looked around the room.  I had visions of the snake curling around the posts of my bed or curling up in the darkness of the bathroom.  Since I failed to mention the snake to anyone and I’m the only one in this part of the resort the fear was exacerbated.  


Over breakfast this morning, I described the snake to Adrian and he immediately said it was the Bushmaster - which is the second most deadly snake in this country.  It couldn’t have been the Bushmaster, he didn’t have a triangular head.  I mention it to Aura and she agreed with me, it probably belonged to the Boa family.  


I spent the day wishing all of the staff “Feliz dia del Amor y Amistad” or “Feliz dia” for short.  Everyone got a kick out of it.  I’m not particularly excited about Valentines day - it just happens to be a complete greeting in Spanish that I have mastered.  So it’s a pleasure to utilize it correctly.  Carmen, who works at the front desk, became so silly hearing me repeat it over and over again.  Juan made a fabulous arrangement of flowers for my room and gave me chocolate.  He also professed his undying love - which he does regularly.  We just have a lot of fun joking around and have done this each year I’ve worked here.  


Tonight, the hotel is full.  Luckily it’s raining so I may be saved from hearing my neighbors celebrate this day of love and friendship.    

No comments:

Post a Comment