Sunday, February 8, 2009

Costa Rica 2009


Buenos!  


Como Estas?  Obviously I am in Costa Rica.  Arrived safe and sound without incident, although the actual departure and flying process was interesting.  


Unlike previous years, this time I found it particularly challenging to pack and get under way.  There are many factors that could have contributed to this phenomenon.  Chief among them being  the fact I had just packed and moved from my place in Clearwater Beach to a rented room in a house a mile North in Clearwater Beach on December 31, 2008.  Packing, moving and unpacking is not new to me.  Renting a room insomeone else's house - while they still live there - is very new to me.  I was grateful for a place to stay while my unit was rented, however there are special challenges that come with living with someone that are foreign to me.  Or at least they have become foreign to me.  It has been at least 14 years since I last lived with someone.  At that point it was a male/female relationship - not a female roommate situation - which I haven’t experienced since college.  The unfamiliar experience and surroundings threw me a little off balance.  

 In addition to this, I had been in Florida since September 2, 2008 and actually began to “put down roots”.  Which basically translates into acquire more stuff.  Yes, as funny as that may seem, having the security of of my own place resulted in some lapse of behavior.  Suddenly I not only had a need for more stuff, I had a place to put it.  Yes, even in 260 square feet.  Which may seem small to most - but is actually palatial when you are accustomed to living in hotel rooms and trailers.  

 I have been traveling on the road since 2004 - during that time I managed to get my necessary possessions down to what fits in my 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio.  I actually had it down to a science.  The winter clothes remained North.  Not that I am actually there in the winter, although it could happen.  I tend to use those clothes in the months that now feel like winter to me - April, May, September and October.  The summer clothes were with me, as my life is spent in perpetual summer.  The lines in the seasons/clothing requirements began to blur as Global warming had an impact on Florida weather and I decided to date.  Yes, date.  I figured that since I was in one place, owned my own home, am attractive and available - this would be a good time to date.  The dating decision resulted in an increased need for clothing.  Afterall I can’t wear yoga clothing, shorts, tank tops and flip flops on evening dates.  I found it necessary to purchase more clothing and have some of my possessions shipped down from the North.  Soon winter clothes began mingling with summer clothes and the possessions began to add up.  

  Suddenly packing and moving a mile North became a complex and difficult task.  The temperature continued it’s downward spiral, Colleen was scheduled to visit, I signed up for several singles actives through meetup.com and still had dating possibilities on the horizon.  Would I need pajamas to sleep in someone else's house?  Would it continue to be cold?  What do I wear on my dates?  Since I had spent the past three months dating or working on my new place I still had a lot of paperwork that required my attention and I wanted to practice yoga every day.  Oh, how the packing multiplied.  Before I knew it - I was in North Clearwater Beach with enough possessions for 6 months - much more than necessary for my seemingly brief, but long in many ways, 3 week stay. 

During that time I also purchased a new computer - the MacBook.  I love the MacBook, the change from a PC is accompanied by a serious learning curve.  One that increases for former PC lifers who also functioned as a systems analyst and Director of Office Automation as the internet was gaining popularity.  Luckily I realized the dating situation wasn’t getting any better and gave up on internet dating which freed up some time to learn the MacBook and volunteer at Caladesi State Park.  Yes, Dad it’s an actual park complete with bathrooms a ranger station, marina, swings, etc.  I have spent four years walking there thinking it was desolate, only to realize on New Years Day that it is an actual state park.  The revelation was accompanied by the opportunity to meet my friends brother who is a Park Ranger at Caladesi, receive a private tour of the park and volunteer my time.     

Colleen was able to visit and we spent some quality time together, including leading a Tampa Bay Singles group through the Sweetwater Organic Community Farm.  Colleen and I both got a kick out of this since neither one of us had ever been to a Tampa Bay Singles meetup or the Sweetwater Organic Community Farm and thanks to my volunteering spirit we were now in charge of the group.  

After all of the events I still had to sort through my belongings, pack, ship items and make the arrangements necessary to leave the country for three months.  As a reward, I scheduled a Spa Visit for myself as well as one for the Cabrio the day before my flight.  It was a very pleasant day - the Cabrio received a complete detail while I indulged in my final Starbucks coffee before leaving the country.  This was followed with a massage, facial and brow sculpting.  A few last minute gift errands, a drop or two of touch up paint and a walk up the beach to the rented room in the house on North Beach to finish packing and cleaning before departing for Costa Rica in less than 12 hours. 

Saturday, January 24 - Sabado 

6:30 a.m. 

Arrive at the airport only to stand in line at Spirit Airlines.  This is a new airline for me and they don’t have curbside checkin.  Luckily the SouthWest guys are not too busy and gladly take my bags to the front of the Spirit line in exchange for a tip.  I am more than happy to tip them as the bags are heavy and I appreciate any assistance I receive in moving my luggage.   The women of  Spirit airlines are pleasant and talkative.  They are also surprised when both of my bags manage to clear the weight restriction by a half pound each.  I am grateful not to be charged extra or asked to remove items and offer them my bag of organic kumquats.  As usual I have packed more than enough food for the journey and realize that I am not going to be able to eat all of those kumquats before arriving in Costa Rica.  I explain how to eat them and make my way to the airport shuttle.  

Surprisingly there is no line at security.  I pull over, drink my remaining water with the necessary pre-flight airborne and cheerfully head to security check in.  I make it through the screening machine without incident.  I have learned after all of these years to remove my belt especially when I am wearing jewelry.  The combination of jewelry and a belt always causes the scanner to go off.  As I am collecting my bags from the baggage scanner, grateful to have made it through the first scanner on one attempt,  I am pulled over into a security scan for my carry on luggage.  Airport security opens my luggage and begins swabbing the interior with a circular piece of white cotton.  I say “That’s interesting.  What are you checking for?”  He replies, without humor, “Explosives”.  My eyes involuntary grow huge and I respond “Explosives!  I hope I don’t have any of those.”  At this point I decide it is in my best interest to get really quite, remain calm and look uninterested.  I began eating some of the remaining kumquats while I run through alternative plans in my head.  The carry on luggage in question contains my new Kangen water machine (www.checkoutkangen.com), which changes the Ph balance of water.  I have a feeling that Airport security doesn’t care what it does as long as it doesn’t blow up the plane.  After the explosive test I am asked a few questions.  Then I’m told they are going to rescan my luggage and make a decision.  It’s 7:00 a.m.!  Make a decision?  A decision about what?  Weather or not I can have my machine?  What’s going to happen if they say no?  Okay, okay, breathe a little deeper.   I eat more kumquats and work really hard at having a relaxed, “I’m not a bomber” expression on my face.  Finally after 15 minutes I am asked to repack my luggage and allowed to go on my way.  I breathe a little sigh of relief and make my way to the gate, belt and shoes on,  machine in tow.  

9:30 a.m. 

Changing plans in Ft. Lauderdale.  I hand my ticket to the gate agent, start down the gangway and am pulled over by security for a pat down.   My head is thinking “Are you serious?” but my face remains impassive, I pleasantly agree and drop all of my belongings on the floor.  The female agent asks me to hold out my arms - which I do.  She pats me down and sends me on my way.  As I’m gathering my bags I receive a phone call from Costa Rica.  I find it funny - an international phone call on the heels of a pat down and stay right there with the security agent while I take my call.  Aura is on the phone, confirming my pickup in Costa Rica.  Content with the knowledge that the shuttle will be waiting for my arrival, I board the plane without further incident.   I’ve packed sufficient food for the flight, and snack on avocado, salad, water and M&M’s while drifting in and out of non-restful sleep. 12:30 p.m.  

Arrive in San Jose, Costa Rica.  Clear immigration while I practice my Spanish and make my way downstairs.  As I walk towards baggage claim I see ‘Cheryl Champagne’ on a sign.  I stop and identify myself.  The agent holding the sign hands me a sticker with the words ‘Sueno Azul’.   I thank her and try to walk away without putting the sticker on, afterall I know where I am going and Rodrigo knows who I am.  The agent is tough and insists I “place the sticker somewhere visible”.  She will not allow me to walk away until I do so.  Again, I comply and pick up my bags.  I make it through agricultural inspection without incident despite the pound of raw, unpasteurized almonds and unmarked zip lock bags of Rice Protein powder, Greens Plus and Calm.  

Thanks to the sticker, I am given direction and guidance out of the airport directly to Rodrigo.  As soon as we see each other, I began screaming with joy and hugging him.  Which always draws attention, as Costa Ricans tend to be less expressive.  I later find out that Rodrigo talks about my greetings all year and actually looks forward to them even if they are a little embarrassing.  


Pura Vida!


No comments:

Post a Comment